Rent a Camper Van from Escape Campervans in San Francisco, CA
WE ARE MOVING! Starting SEPTEMBER 28th, 2023. our new address will be 893 Ames Ave, Milpitas, CA 95035. Please note that ride-share apps and maps (Lyft, Uber, Google Maps, etc.) take a while to update. Please type in the address when getting directions to our new location.
From Alcatraz to the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco is a must-see destination for travelers. But what if you could amplify the experience by adding a unique twist—exploring the city and its surrounding areas in a camper van? With Escape Campervans, you can explore California’s many natural wonders, with the freedom to roam only made possible with a camper van. Here’s everything you need to know before setting off on your Northern California van adventure.
Our Bay Area Rental Location
893 Ames Ave, Milpitas, CA 95035
Our San Francisco rental hub is actually strategically located across the bay in Milpitas. We’re within a 50-minute drive from downtown Oakland, 15 minutes from San Jose, and an hour from San Francisco. This central location serves as an ideal gateway for all your Bay Area adventures. Upon your arrival, our welcoming staff will be at hand to set you up with the perfect camper van for your journey.
893 Ames Ave
Milpitas, CA 95035
How to Get to Escape Campervans from San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Your best options for reaching our Milpitas hub from SFO are as follows:
- Rideshare Services: Uber and Lyft are available at SFO. After claiming your baggage, follow the airport signs to the designated rideshare pickup zones on Level 5 of the Domestic Garage. Consult SFO’s official website for the most up-to-date information.
- Taxi: If you prefer taking a taxi, you can find them in the Ground Transportation area. Just follow the signs or ask airport staff for directions to the taxi stands.
- Public Transport: Take the BART from SFO to Milpitas Station for a budget-friendly option. Once you arrive at Milpitas Station, you can then take a local bus to our rental hub. This journey will take about an hour in total.
How to Get to Escape Campervans from Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Here are your best options for reaching our Milpitas hub from Oakland International Airport.
- Rideshare Services: Uber and Lyft are available at OAK. After collecting your luggage, proceed to the designated rideshare pickup zones. The most current information can be found on the Oakland Airport’s official website.
- Taxi: Taxis can be found in the Ground Transportation area. Follow airport signs or ask the airport staff for directions.
- Public Transport: You can take the BART from Oakland Airport to Milpitas Station and then a local bus to our facility. This trip should take around 40 minutes in total.
How to Get to Escape Campervans from San Jose International Airport (SJC)
Finally, let’s cover your best options for reaching our Milpitas hub from SJC.
- Rideshare Services: Uber and Lyft are available at SJC. Once you’ve collected your luggage, follow the airport signs to the designated rideshare pickup zones, which you can find outlined on SJC’s official website.
- Taxi: Taxis are available at Ground Transportation. Simply follow the airport signs or ask the staff for directions to the taxi stands.
- Public Transport: To save on cash, you can take a VTA bus to connect with the BART system, then take a train to Milpitas Station, followed by a local bus to our location. Expect this journey to take around an hour.
Camper Vans Available for Reservation in San Francisco, CA
A Fleet Tailored to Your Wanderlust
At Escape Campervans Denver, we don’t believe in one-size-fits-all. That’s why our curated fleet is designed to meet the individual tastes and needs of every intrepid traveler. Whether you’re a couple seeking a romantic getaway, a family wanting quality time in nature, or a group of friends yearning for a road trip of a lifetime, we have the perfect camper van just for you.
Craving a cozy, intimate road trip with all the practicalities you could ask for? Meet Mavericks, your ultimate home-away-from-home on wheels. This gem is perfect for couples, small families, and friend groups. The Mavericks comes fully equipped with:
- A luxurious, queen-sized bed.
- A functional kitchen that boasts a 2-burner propane stove, dual-powered refrigerator, and a handy sink.
- Ample storage space for all your road trip essentials and souvenirs.
- A foldaway in-van table and benches, converting easily into your big comfy bed for the night.
- Fuel efficiency of 14-17 mpg and a range of technical specs for a smooth ride.
- An optional rooftop sleeper.
Traveling with a bigger crew or a family that needs a little extra room? Say hello to Mesa, the beloved Mavericks model’s expanded, tricked-out sibling. Perfect for those who never want to compromise on space or amenities, Mesa is about two feet longer than the Mavericks, allowing you to keep the rear bucket seats up even when the bed is down—ideal for families with car seats. When traveling in the Mesa, you’ll have the following at your disposal:
- A queen-sized bed that promises sound sleep under the stars.
- Advanced kitchen facilities featuring a 2-burner propane stove, a dual-powered refrigerator, and a sink with a 5-gallon water tank.
- Additional drawers and compartments underneath the back benches offer extra storage and organization.
- Aux and Bluetooth capabilities allow you to curate the soundtrack for your adventure.
- Optional rooftop sleeper accommodations.
- Fuel efficiency of 14-17 mpg.
Looking for the next level in campervan comfort and versatility? The Del Mar is the upgraded sibling of our popular Mesa model. Ideal for families, groups of friends, or any adventurous soul, the Del Mar is your ticket to a dream road trip. Here’s what makes it special:
- A queen-sized bed and an additional interior double bed make room for up to 5 sleepers.
- A kitchen outfitted with a 2-burner propane stove, a dual-powered refrigerator, a 5-gallon water tank, and a sink.
- Extra storage spaces, including drawers and compartments, to stow away your essentials and finds along the journey.
- The ability to stand inside the camper adds a whole new level of comfort.
- Tech-savvy additions like USB ports and Bluetooth capabilities keep you connected.
- An average fuel efficiency of 14-17 mpg, so you can focus more on the adventure and less on the fuel gauge.
Embrace the freedom of the open road with minimal fuss. The Santa Cruz model offers maximum fuel efficiency and is ideal for those who love spontaneous detours and finding hidden gems along the way. Perfectly tailored for solo road trippers or couples, this van comes with:
- A comfy double bed designed for easy setup and restful sleep.
- A compact kitchen featuring a one-burner propane stove, dual-powered refrigerator, and a 3.5-gallon sink.
- Clever storage spaces that include drawers and compartments for your travel essentials.
- Audio features with Aux capabilities to set the mood for your adventure.
- An impressive 27 mpg fuel efficiency, so you’re not bound to gas stations.
- Note: Rooftop sleepers are not available for this model.
For those who prefer the road less traveled, our 4×4 Rooftop Jeep Camper offers the rugged functionality and comfort needed for any adventure. From winding mountain trails to expansive deserts, this model has got you covered. It includes:
- A convenient pop-up rooftop sleeper, setting the stage for intimate stargazing or a good night’s sleep in nature.
- A kitchenette featuring a single-burner propane stove and an efficient Dometic-powered cooler.
- A 3.5-gallon water tank and sink to meet your freshwater needs.
- A high-tech 8.4-inch touchscreen integrated with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Fuel efficiency of 20 mpg, so you can focus more on the journey and less on refueling.
Keep in mind off-road driving with the Jeep Camper is at your own risk as it’s not covered by our insurance options.
Road Trip Ideas from San Francisco, CA
Just about an hour’s drive from San Francisco, Napa Valley is synonymous with fine wines and beautiful vineyards. Park your camper at a scenic spot, and you could wake up to rows of grapevines stretching into the horizon.
Point Reyes National Seashore
If the ocean is calling your name, head to Point Reyes National Seashore, approximately 1.5 hours from San Francisco. It’s a haven for wildlife, featuring a variety of birds, seals, and even whales if you’re lucky.
About 3.5 hours from San Francisco, Lake Tahoe is the perfect destination for summer water sports and winter skiing. The drive offers spectacular views that make you want to pull over just to take it all in.
For an unforgettable coastal experience, Big Sur is your go-to spot. About a 3-hour drive from San Francisco, its towering cliffs and the expansive Pacific will leave you spellbound.
Yosemite National Park
Yosemite is a bit further out, but absolutely worth the 4-hour drive. Yosemite’s stunning natural beauty is something you have to see at least once in your lifetime.
A trip up picturesque CA 89 is the perfect way to experience Northern California’s forests, sweeping valleys, rivers, and lakes. Taking the northern route means you will first experience the desert shores of Lake Topaz before heading to Lake Tahoe. As you continue north, you will discover Lassen Volcanic National Park before you hit Mount Shasta, the fifth-highest peak in the state. This trip is jam-packed with campsites, small towns, waterfalls, and rivers and is sure to impress anyone.
Major Destinations Near San Francisco, CA
Rich in history, Sacramento is home to the California State Capitol Museum, where you can learn about the state’s legislative process and history. Wander through Old Sacramento Waterfront, a lively district with cobbled streets, historic buildings, and a variety of shops and eateries. For families, the Sacramento Zoo and Fairytale Town offer a fun-filled day out. Sacramento is also known for its farm-to-table restaurants, making it a burgeoning foodie destination. Plus, the American and Sacramento rivers provide opportunities for outdoor activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, and riverside picnics.
Santa Cruz, CA
Just a 1.5-hour drive from San Francisco, Santa Cruz promises an invigorating blend of natural beauty and cultural flair. Renowned for its sandy beaches and vibrant surfing culture, the city also boasts the iconic Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, an amusement park featuring classic rides and modern thrills. Venture beyond the coast to discover charming boutiques, eclectic art galleries, and a diverse culinary scene that ranges from beachside seafood shacks to upscale international cuisine.
Just a bit further south is Monterey, a picturesque coastal town embodying California’s rugged coastline. Here, you can visit the world-
class Monterey Bay Aquarium, known for its giant kelp forest and playful sea otters. Don’t miss the 17-Mile Drive, a scenic road that winds through Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove, offering vistas of coastal cliffs, cypress forests, and the often misty Pacific. Additionally, Cannery Row, made famous by novelist John Steinbeck, offers an array of shops, restaurants, and beautiful ocean views.
A three-hour journey north of San Francisco will bring you to the serene settings of Mendocino. This coastal village is an ideal retreat for those looking to escape urban hustle and bustle. With stunning panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean, the Mendocino Headlands offer hiking trails that hug the coastline. Whether it’s kayaking in the Big River, exploring the Pygmy Forest, or simply enjoying the local wineries, Mendocino provides a leisurely pace with a heavy focus on outdoor activities.
Camper Van-Friendly Campgrounds Near San Francisco
Kirby Cove Campground
948 Fort Barry, Sausalito, CA 94965
Situated just across the Golden Gate Bridge in beautiful Sausalito, Kirby Cove offers stunning views of San Francisco. It’s perfect for those who want to enjoy nature without straying too far from the city.
Samuel P. Taylor State Park
8889 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Lagunitas, CA 94938
If you’re looking for a more secluded woodland experience, Samuel P. Taylor State Park offers plenty of spots where you can park your camper for the night.
Half Moon Bay State Beach
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
For beach lovers, Half Moon Bay State Beach is an excellent place to set up camp. Listen to the soothing sounds of the waves as you drift off to sleep in the comfort of your camper van.
Grocery and Liquor Stores Near Our San Francisco Location
22224 Redwood Rd, Castro Valley, CA 94546
This Trader Joe’s in nearby Castro Valley offers a unique range of high-quality and affordable products. You’ll find it here whether you’re looking for organic fruits, ready-to-eat meals, or a selection of international cheeses.
15100 Hesperian Blvd 400A 400A, San Leandro, CA 94578, United States
For the best selection of wines, beers, and spirits, make a stop at the BevMo! in nearby San Leandro. Their staff can even suggest some local favorites to try during your trip.
22330 Hathaway Ave, Hayward, CA 94541
If you’re planning a longer road trip and need to buy in bulk, Hayward’s Costco offers great deals on a wide variety of items, from food to camping supplies.
Outdoor Stores Near San Francisco for Your Van Adventure
REI San Francisco
A mecca of sorts for outdoor enthusiasts, REI offers a wide variety of camping gear, outdoor clothing, and even kayaks, should you wish to paddle your way through California’s lakes.
Another excellent option for camping supplies, Sports Basement offers high-quality gear at discounted prices. It’s an ideal place to pick up anything you might have forgotten. You can find numerous Sports Basement locations across the Bay Area, from Berkeley to Campbell to San Francisco and beyond.
Book Your Van with Escape Campervans Today
You’re now fully equipped with all the information you need for an unforgettable San Francisco road trip adventure with Escape Campervans. So what are you waiting? Book your camper van today!