Escape Campervans USA has earned a great reputation for having friendly and transparent terms and flexible costs. There are a few important points to consider as you plan your trip.
Important Planning Tips
Submitting a booking request does not mean your reservation is confirmed. Once Escape has received your booking request & confirmed availability, we then charge the $200 deposit and send you an official booking confirmation via email.
We advise you not to book airline tickets or campsites until you receive a booking confirmation from us.
Campervan Rental Terms
- Driver’s License/Proof of Identification: All drivers must hold a valid driver’s license for the entire rental period. The primary driver must have a major credit card in their name. Only drivers specified on the contract are allowed to drive Escape Campervans vehicles (we only require the plastic part for UK licenses). An international driver’s license, although recommended, is not sufficient on its own.
- Minimum Age to Rent a Campervan: You must be 21 years of age or older and have a valid drivers license.
- Vehicle Pick Up and Drop Off: Vehicles are available for pick up between 1 pm and 4 pm and must be returned between 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM on the agreed drop-off date. A full day rental charge will be applied if the vehicle is more than 1 hour late. There are no refunds for late pickup or early return of vehicles.
- Minimum and Maximum Rental Period: There is no maximum rental period. Our website quotes a minimum day rental. The longer you rent for, the cheaper it gets. The discount is built into the quote automatically.
- Deposit: A US $200 deposit ($400 CAD) is required at the time of reservation. Once this deposit is received, the reservation will be confirmed. The remaining balance, plus any additional equipment, mileage packages or insurance selections are required upon pickup.
- Rates calculation: Rates are calculated per night. Where a rental crosses into another season, the rate will split to allow for the new season rate. This will be highlighted when you receive an online quote.
- Payments: Per new COVID guidelines, cash is no longer accepted as a form of payment. Credit cards & debit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express) accepted in the US. Only credit cards are accepted for payment in Canada.
Amendments and Extensions
- Booking amendments: It is possible to extend your rental without incurring a fee beyond the cost of the additional days (subject to availability). It is also possible to shorten your rental up to 14 days before pick up. Shortening a rental will be quoted as a new rental and will be subject to availability and calculated at the retail rate with any current specials not applicable.
- Rental Extensions: Should you wish to extend your rental whilst on hire, you must first obtain authorization from Escape. This is subject to availability. The additional days will be at the retail rate available at the time of extension. Failure to obtain authorization will result in late fees of up to double the value of your daily rental rate per day the van is late.
- Vehicle upgrades: Escape Campervans reserves the right to upgrade your booked campervan model. There would be no additional charge for an upgrade.
- Accessories: Failure of Escape Campervans to provide reserved accessories does not allow the cancellation terms to be null and void. Any accessories, other than the rooftop sleeper and bike racks, can be canceled on the day of pick up.
- If you cancel your booking within 5 days of receiving your confirmation, we will refund your deposit in full ($200 US / $400 CAD). NOTE: This does not apply to pickups within 14 days of booking.
- If you cancel more than 5 days after receiving confirmation, we will keep your $200 US / $400 CAD deposit on hold for a future reservation. Please note, your $200/$400 CAD credit must be used within one year from your cancellation date.
- If you cancel within 14 days of pick up, you will be charged 20% of the total value of your trip on top of the deposit.
- If you cancel within 2 days of pick up, or if there is a no-show, you will be charged the full balance of your rental.
Should you have additional questions about this policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-877-270-8267 (option 1) to speak with our reservations team about your booking.
Mileage – United States
A mileage deposit is required for every rental*. The deposit and the per mile rate is charged according to your van model.
Santa Cruz & Mavericks: the $29/day deposit covers 100 miles per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.29 cents per mile.
Big Sur: the $32/day deposit covers 100 miles per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.32 cents per mile.
Newport Camper: the $38/day deposit covers 100 miles per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.38 cents per mile.
At drop off, if you have driven less than the amount covered by your deposit, you will be refunded at the corresponding mileage rate. At drop off, if you have driven more than the amount covered by the deposit, you will be charged for excess miles at the rate that corresponds with your vehicle model.
*Applies to bookings made on or after June 8, 2020.
Mileage – Canada
Mileage packages are not included in the daily rate. Check out our flexible mileage options below! Note: all kilometers are averaged over the length of your trip.
Driving on unpaved roads (excluding county and state maintained roads), dirt roads, restricted areas and ‘off road’ areas is not allowed. Renter is liable for all damages to vehicle, tires, towing charges and other expenses as a result of a breakdown, collision, or other, associated with operating Escape Campervans vehicles in these areas. Escape Campervans’ insurance protection will also be null and void. The following are restricted areas:
- Anywhere in Mexico, Baja California, Alaska, and the Northern Territories of Canada.
- Death Valley between the dates 1st May and 30th September.
- Any unimproved road, trail, track (excluding county and state maintained road).
- Any off-road areas (dunes, Salt Plains, beaches, riverbeds, logging roads, forest trails, dirt trails etc.).
- The Burning Man festival unless prior permission has been given and the mandatory grooming fee has been paid. Big Surs and Newport Campers are not allowed to attend Burning Man. A fee will be charged if renter fails to notify Escape Campervans and pay the extra cleaning fee for this festival.
Insurance for campervans and liability insurance: We pride ourselves on offering insurance options that accommodate our guests’ needs and are easy to understand. See full campervan insurance options.
The renter is fully liable for any damage to the Escape campervan or third party property if:
- The terms of the rental contract are breached.
- If the driver does not hold an appropriate driver’s license.
- Damage to the campervan is caused by careless, willful or reckless driving.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Driving on unsealed or restricted roads or restricted areas.
- Water submersion or salt water damage occurs.