Escape Campervans USA has earned a great reputation for having friendly and transparent terms and flexible costs. There are a few important points to consider as you plan your trip.
Important Planning Tips
Submitting a booking request does not mean your reservation is confirmed. Once Escape has received your booking request & confirmed availability, we then charge the US$250 deposit (or $400CAD) and send you an official booking confirmation via email.
We advise you not to book airline tickets or campsites until you receive a booking confirmation from us.
Campervan Rental Terms
- Driver’s License/Proof of Identification: All drivers must hold a valid driver’s license for the entire rental period. The primary driver must have a major credit card in their name. Only drivers specified on the contract are allowed to drive Escape Campervans vehicles (we only require the plastic part for UK licenses). An international driver’s license, although recommended, is not sufficient on its own.
- Minimum Age to Rent a Campervan: You must be 21 years of age or older and have a valid drivers license.
- Vehicle Pick Up and Drop Off: Vehicles are available for pick up between 1 pm and 4 pm and must be returned between 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM on the agreed drop-off date. A full day rental charge will be applied if the vehicle is more than 1 hour late. There are no refunds for late pickup or early return of vehicles.
- Minimum and Maximum Rental Period: There is no maximum rental period. Our website quotes a minimum day rental. The longer you rent for, the cheaper it gets. The discount is built into the quote automatically.
Applicable to all cancellations:
- All changes and modifications are subject to availability
- No change fees
- Please note that higher or lower rates may apply to new dates selected
- We recommend making changes to travel dates/locations/models as far in advance as possible to ensure availability.
- Trips can not be shortened within 7 days of pickup
Should you have additional questions about this policy, please contact email@example.com or 1-877-270-8267 (option 1) to speak with our reservations team about your booking.
Mileage – United States
An estimated mileage charge is required for every rental*. The deposit and the per mile rate is charged according to your van model.
Santa Cruz & Mavericks: the $30/day deposit covers 100 miles per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.30 cents per mile.
Big Sur & Jeep Camper: the $33/day deposit covers 100 miles per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.33 cents per mile.
At drop off, if you have driven less than the amount covered by your deposit, you will be refunded at the corresponding mileage rate. At drop off, if you have driven more than the amount covered by the deposit, you will be charged for excess miles at the rate that corresponds with your vehicle model.
*Applies to bookings made on or after June 8, 2020.
Mileage – Canada
An estimated mileage charge is required for every rental*. The deposit and the per kilometer rate is charged according to your van model.
Big Sur: the $45 CAD/day deposit covers 150 kilometers per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.30 CAD per kilometer.
At drop off, if you have driven less than the amount covered by your deposit, you will be refunded at the corresponding mileage rate. At drop off, if you have driven more than the amount covered by the deposit, you will be charged for excess kilometers at the rate that corresponds with your vehicle model.
*Applies to bookings made on or after July 7, 2020.
Driving on unpaved roads, dirt roads, restricted areas and ‘off road’ areas is not allowed. Renter is liable for all damages to vehicle, tires, towing charges and other expenses as a result of a breakdown, collision, or other, associated with operating Escape Campervans vehicles in these areas. Escape Campervans’ insurance protection will also be null and void. The following are restricted areas:
- Anywhere in Mexico, Baja California, Alaska, and the Northern Territories of Canada.
- Death Valley between the dates 1st May and 30th September.
- Any unimproved road, trail, track (excluding county and state maintained road).
- Any off-road areas (dunes, Salt Plains, beaches, riverbeds, logging roads, forest trails, dirt trails etc.).
- The Burning Man festival unless prior permission has been given and the mandatory grooming fee has been paid. Big Sur and Santa Cruz vans are not allowed to attend Burning Man. A fee will be charged if renter fails to notify Escape Campervans and pay the extra cleaning fee for this festival.
Insurance for campervans and liability insurance: We pride ourselves on offering insurance options that accommodate our guests’ needs and are easy to understand. See full campervan insurance options.
The renter is fully liable for any damage to the Escape campervan or third party property if:
- The terms of the rental contract are breached.
- If the driver does not hold an appropriate driver’s license.
- Damage to the campervan is caused by careless, willful or reckless driving.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Driving on unsealed or restricted roads or restricted areas.
- Water submersion or salt water damage occurs.