Escape Campervans USA has earned a great reputation for having friendly and transparent terms and flexible costs. There are a few important points to consider as you plan your trip.
Important Planning Tips
Submitting a booking request does not mean your reservation is confirmed. Once Escape has received your booking request & confirmed availability, we then charge the US$250 deposit (or $400CAD) and send you an official booking confirmation via email.
We advise you not to book airline tickets or campsites until you receive a booking confirmation from us.
Campervan Rental Terms
- Driver’s License/Proof of Identification: All drivers must hold a valid driver’s license for the entire rental period. The primary driver must have a major credit card in their name. Only drivers specified on the contract are allowed to drive Escape Campervans vehicles (we only require the plastic part for UK licenses). An international driver’s license, although recommended, is not sufficient on its own.
- Minimum Age to Rent a Campervan: You must be 21 years of age or older and have a valid drivers license.
- Vehicle Pick Up and Drop Off: Vehicles are available for pick up between 1 pm and 4 pm and must be returned between 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM on the agreed drop-off date. A full day rental charge will be applied if the vehicle is more than 1 hour late. There are no refunds for late pickup or early return of vehicles.
- Minimum and Maximum Rental Period: There is no maximum rental period. Our website quotes a minimum day rental. The longer you rent for, the cheaper it gets. The discount is built into the quote automatically.
- Deposit: A US $250 deposit ($400 CAD) is required at the time of reservation. Once this deposit is received, the reservation will be confirmed. The remaining balance, plus any additional equipment, estimated mileage charge or insurance selections are required upon pickup.
- Rates calculation: Rates are calculated per night. Where a rental crosses into another season, the rate will split to allow for the new season rate. This will be highlighted when you receive an online quote.
- Payments: Per new COVID guidelines, cash is no longer accepted as a form of payment. Credit cards & debit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) accepted in the US. Only credit cards are accepted for payment in Canada.
Amendments and Extensions
- Booking amendments: It is possible to extend your rental without incurring a fee beyond the cost of the additional days (subject to availability). It is also possible to shorten your rental up to 14 days before pick up. Shortening a rental will be quoted as a new rental and will be subject to availability and calculated at the retail rate with any current specials not applicable.
- Rental Extensions: Should you wish to extend your rental whilst on hire, you must first obtain authorization from Escape. This is subject to availability. The additional days will be at the retail rate available at the time of extension. Failure to obtain authorization will result in late fees of up to double the value of your daily rental rate per day the van is late.
- Vehicle upgrades: Escape Campervans reserves the right to upgrade your booked campervan model. There would be no additional charge for an upgrade.
- Accessories: Failure of Escape Campervans to provide reserved accessories does not allow the cancellation terms to be null and void. Any accessories, other than the rooftop sleeper, can be canceled on the day of pick up.
Effective October 1st, 2021, we will be rolling out a new flexible, low-risk cancellation policy
- If a booking is cancelled:
- 15 or more days prior to pickup: Full refund of deposit
- Between 3-14 days before pickup: $250 deposit stays on file for a future trip
- Within 2 days of pickup: 100% of the total trip value is charged in full
Flexible, Low-Risk Cancellation Policy:
Applicable to all cancellations:
- This policy does not apply to trips cancelled prior to 10/1/21, only active reservations
- All changes and modifications are subject to availability
- No change fees: you can modify dates, locations, and vehicle model up to 3 days before pickup, subject to availability
- Higher or lower rates may apply if new dates are selected & available
- We recommend making changes to travel dates/locations/models as far in advance as possible to ensure availability.
- Trips can not be shortened within 2 days of pickup
- Deposit on file expires after 12 months of cancellation
Should you have additional questions about this policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-877-270-8267 (option 1) to speak with our reservations team about your booking.
Mileage – United States
An estimated mileage charge is required for every rental*. The deposit and the per mile rate is charged according to your van model.
Santa Cruz & Mavericks: the $30/day deposit covers 100 miles per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.30 cents per mile.
Big Sur & Jeep Camper: the $33/day deposit covers 100 miles per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.33 cents per mile.
At drop off, if you have driven less than the amount covered by your deposit, you will be refunded at the corresponding mileage rate. At drop off, if you have driven more than the amount covered by the deposit, you will be charged for excess miles at the rate that corresponds with your vehicle model.
*Applies to bookings made on or after June 8, 2020.
Mileage – Canada
An estimated mileage charge is required for every rental*. The deposit and the per kilometer rate is charged according to your van model.
Big Sur: the $45 CAD/day deposit covers 150 kilometers per day, averaged over your trip. Excess miles are charged or unused miles are refunded at $0.30 CAD per kilometer.
At drop off, if you have driven less than the amount covered by your deposit, you will be refunded at the corresponding mileage rate. At drop off, if you have driven more than the amount covered by the deposit, you will be charged for excess kilometers at the rate that corresponds with your vehicle model.
*Applies to bookings made on or after July 7, 2020.
Driving on unpaved roads, dirt roads, restricted areas, and ‘off-road’ areas is not allowed. The renter is liable for all damages to the vehicle, tires, towing charges, and other expenses as a result of a breakdown, collision, or other, associated with operating Escape Campervans vehicles in these areas. Escape Campervans’ insurance protection will also be null and void. The following are restricted areas:
- Anywhere in Mexico, Baja California, Alaska, and the Northern Territories of Canada.
- Death Valley between the dates 1st May and 30th September.
- Any unimproved road, trail, or track (excluding county and state-maintained road).
- Any off-road areas (dunes, Salt Plains, beaches, riverbeds, logging roads, forest trails, dirt trails, etc.).
- The Burning Man festival unless prior permission has been given and the mandatory grooming fee has been paid. Big Sur, Del Mar, Jeep Camper, and Santa Cruz vans are not allowed to attend Burning Man. ONLY THE MAVERICKS VAN IS ALLOWED AT BURNING MAN. An additional fee will be charged if the renter fails to notify Escape Campervans and pay the extra cleaning fee for this festival.
Insurance for campervans and liability insurance: We pride ourselves on offering insurance options that accommodate our guests’ needs and are easy to understand. See full campervan insurance options.
The renter is fully liable for any damage to the Escape campervan or third-party property if:
- The terms of the rental contract are breached.
- If the driver does not hold an appropriate driver’s license.
- Damage to the campervan is caused by careless, willful, or reckless driving.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Driving on unsealed or restricted roads or restricted areas.
- Water submersion or salt water damage occurs.