Apps are a great way to enhance your travel experience. From trip planning and star gazing to finding hidden gems along your route, we put together a list of the best road trip apps we’ve found out there. Let us know if you have any more to add!
Our Top Picks
- Google Maps – Still the #1 game in town for directions, accuracy, and distance planning.
- GasBuddy – Instantly locates the cheapest gas prices based on your location.
- Roadtrippers — Highlights things to do, entertainment, history, etc. along your chosen route.
- Weather Underground — Defacto leader in weather forecasting. There’s even a road trip planning capability on the app that details weather along the way.
- Just Ahead — Highly recommended by a recent renter. Turns your smartphone into a GPS audio tour guide for your road trip.
- Roadfood — Good app for finding interesting eats and drinks (read: not chain restaurants like McDonald’s) along your route. Note: We have NOT tried out this app but it looks too cool not to add to the list.
- Roadside America — Find the best roadside stops along your route.
- SkyMap — Our campervan beds are super comfy, but it’s always good to switch it up and spend a night sleeping under the stars. Just point your smartphone toward the sky and SkyMap will detail every star, planet, and constellation above you. It’s a must-have for the amateur astronomer!
- Tripadvisor — The best when it comes to real, unfiltered, genuine reviews on everything from hotels to dive bars. Note: Trip Advisor doesn’t allow rental vehicle companies to have review sites.
- Yelp — An American version of Tripadvisor. Seems to work best for restaurant reviews.
- Surfline — The one stop shop for all things surf. Whether you’re looking for a surf forecast or simply want to see a live webcam of what’s going on at a particular break, this is the place.