Escape Campervan FAQs

At Escape, we like to make things as easy and painless as possible for you. From the booking process to the operation of the campervan to our Terms & Insurance, we aim for simplicity and honesty. If you can’t find the answer to your question below, please don’t hesitate to contact us.


How do I secure a campervan booking with Escape?

Escape only requires a $200 USD deposit to reserve a campervan. The balance is not payable until you collect your campervan (most companies require full payment 4 weeks prior to travel).

When should I book my campervan?

Escape is typically one of the first companies to fill up. Even in the low season, our vehicles are in high demand. For the high season months, it is advisable to book a couple of months ahead and in the low season at least a couple of weeks. If you are not that organized, contact us anyway as things can always change at the last minute and you could get lucky!

What is the minimum number of days that I need to rent an Escape campervan?

Depending on the time of the year, the minimum rental will range from 3 to 7 days. The longer you rent, the bigger the discount applied.

Are my credit card details safe?

We maintain reasonable administrative, physical and technological measures to protect the confidentiality and security of personal information you submit on or through this Site, including credit card details. Unfortunately, no website, server or database is completely secure or “hacker proof.” We, therefore, cannot guarantee that your personal information will not be disclosed, misused or lost by accident or by the unauthorized acts of others.

What options do I have for extra or unlimited miles ?

You have a few different mileage options to choose from upon pick up.

  1. Stick with the standard mileage plan included with your rental at 100/day (this is averaged over your entire trip). The cost of additional miles is $0.25 per mile ($0.35 per mile for the Indie Camper) if you go over the 100 miles per day averaged over your trip.
  2. If you rent for longer than 7 days:
    • You can purchase an additional 100 miles/day for $15/day (giving you a total of 200 miles/day). The cost of additional miles is $0.25 per mile ($0.35 per mile for the Indie Camper) if you go over the 200 miles per day averaged over your trip.

You can purchase unlimited miles at the start of your trip for only $25 per day ($35 per day for the Indie Camper) for trips longer than 14 days.

Are there any hidden charges in your rates?

In America, most campervan rental companies often offer a cheap lead in price and then add on all the extras such as mileage charges, compulsory insurance, living equipment, starter packs, extra drivers etc. If you find a cheaper quote than ours, we advise that you research exactly what is being offered. The unwary can get caught out by grabbing the cheap quote from another company only to find they end up paying over twice what they had initially budgeted on.

With that said, Escape Campervans have NO hidden charges. Standard liability insurance and 100 free miles per day are included in your daily rate along with extra driver fees, all equipment, roadside support service, credit card fees, etc.

Is there a charge for additional drivers?

There is no additional cost for up to 4 drivers. All drivers MUST be physically present with a valid driver’s license at the time of pick up.

Am I insured for 3rd party injury or damage?

The daily rate includes 3rd party and liability coverage to the levels set by the individual states. If your own travel insurance does not include liability cover to $1,000,000 USD, we can offer this to you for an additional $12.25/day. For more details on campervan and 3rd party liability insurance, click here.

Do I need to have a credit card in order to rent a campervan?

Yes. Similar to a hotel, we require a credit card on file for incidentals even if you’re paying in cash. The credit card holder must also be the primary renter, who is responsible for signing the agreement. We can and do switch the primary renter at pickup if need be.


Can I park my personal vehicle at Escape's lot during my trip?

We cannot allow personal vehicles to be parked at our lot during your trip, as it violates our insurance terms.

We recommend Lyft, Uber, taxi, or other public transit options to get to our depots. Please refer to our individual depot locations pages for directions. If you prefer to drive your own car, most of our depots are located near airports and long-term parking areas. You can also check out to see if there are other options nearby.

Contacting Escape

What are your office hours and what hours can we pick up and drop off our campervan?

Office hours

Open 7 days/week.

8.30am – 4.30pm

Closed Christmas, Memorial Day, Labor Day, New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Independence Day.

Pick up

You can collect your campervan between 1 pm and 4 pm. New York and Miami pick up times must be arranged 48 hours prior to campervan collection.

Drop off

Like a hotel, we charge by the night and not the drop off day. Vehicles must be returned by 10:00 a.m. on the agreed drop-off date. A full-day rental charge will be applied once the vehicle is more than 1 hour late. You can request an extra day charge for a late drop off when you book, or you can wait until you are on tour and call us the day prior to drop off. If we don’t need the campervan back by 10 am the following day, we can usually allow a slightly later drop off at no extra charge.

How are your phone, email, and social media response times to questions?

We pride ourselves in having a very high standard of response times to bookings and questions. We are not a huge multinational company and do not have a call center, but our own staff who work within Escape will respond to your questions and booking requests as soon as possible.

Here is a guideline for expected response times across the various media:

  1. Phones: You can call our main office number or freephone number and speak to staff between 8 am and 9 pm PST 7 days/week.
  2. Email: The reservations emails team replies to emails from 8 am to 9 pm PST 7 days/week. We try our best to respond within 24 hours.
  3. Online booking: Confirmation within 24 hours.
  4. Facebook and other social media: Allow 4 hours response time on average.

International phone: +1 (310) 672-9909

Free call within USA: +1 (877) 270-8267


Skype: escapecampervans

Facebook: EscapeCampervansUSA

Our Campervans

What make and model are your campervans?

We currently have 3 models in our fleet:

  • Indie Camper: 2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab (4-door) with Lance 650 camper model (available in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Vancouver. Limited quantity available.)
  • Big Sur: Ford T-350 (now available in all West Coast locations. Available in New York, Atlanta, and Miami starting Jan 2, 2019.)
  • Mavericks: Ford E150 (available at all locations except Vancouver)

These campervans are among the most economical in the United States and are easy to drive and park.

Are the campervan transmissions manual or automatic?

We provide automatic transmission campervans. If you have not driven an automatic before, don’t worry as it’s very easy and we will give you a quick lesson before departure.

How old are your campervans?

Our fleet is among the newest of any budget fleet in America.

  • The Indie Camper has an average age of 2018.
  • The Big Sur has an average age of 2016 with a 2018+ refit.
  • The Mavericks has an average age of 2012 with a 2012+ refit.

All our campervans are serviced to a high standard every 5000 miles.

How many people can travel in the camper with me?

Mavericks: Seats 5, sleeps 2-3 (4-5 with rooftop sleeper)

Big Sur: Seats 5, sleeps 2-3 (4-5 with rooftop sleeper)

Indie Camper: Seats 5, sleeps 3 (5 with ground tent accessory)

We stock the campervan with enough sleeping and kitchen equipment for every person traveling.

What about traveling with young children?

We have had many happy young families travel with Escape. The rear seat has 3 seatbelts: 2 very secure, 3-point seatbelts where child seats can be securely fitted, and one lap belt in the middle. We also supply child and booster seats for $30 to save you having to bring your own. Here is a link to some happy campers who recently took their 12-month-old around America.

How far can I travel on a full tank of fuel?

Each of our models has a different sized tank. Depending on the driving terrain and your driving style, you can travel up to 600 miles (approximately 1,000 km) on one tank! See the specs on each model from our Campervans page.


Who paints your campervans?

We employ a range of talented artists who have achieved international acclaim. Each artist has his or her own style that adds to our unique fleet. If you are visiting our Los Angeles Escape Depot between March and June, you may see our artists in action. Learn more about our artists here.

Can I choose my favorite painted Escape Campervan?

When you book, you are welcome to mention which style artwork you prefer, but we can not guarantee you will get your top preference, especially during the busy season. Vans are coming in and out every day, so typically your van will be one that is ready and serviced for pickup that day. All artwork is happy, creative and friendly. We do not have political, aggressive, or offensive designs. We will do everything we can to get you in a van you love!

I don’t want to draw attention to myself. Do you have any plain campervans?

We do not offer plain vans. We have 500+ vans in our fleet, and each one is unique! Surprisingly, many folks often assume you are a local who has painted his or her own campervan–the people who stand out as tourists are in white box campervans. Our clients experience positive and friendly contact with other travelers and locals through the artwork.

Packing & Supplies

What equipment is supplied with every campervan?

Escape supplies all the following free of charge with every rental. We stock enough for the number of travelers in each campervan rental.

  • 2 Pots
  • 1 Pan
  • Bowls
  • Plates
  • Cups
  • Spoons
  • Knives
  • Forks
  • Cooking utensils: Fish slice (spatula), serving spoon, can opener, bottle opener, sharp knife, cutting board
  • 110v power cord and campground adapter
  • Extension cord and multi plug strip
  • 2-burner gas stove (with 2 gas canisters and a box of matches)
  • Picnic chairs
  • Clean sheets, duvets, covers, pillows and pillow cases
  • Road Atlas and camping guide
Can I rent extra items?

Yes! We rent out picnic tables, snow chains, picnic tables, GPS navigation, tents, awnings, solar showers, child seats, and more. Please see our accessories page for a full list.

Is bedding provided?

Clean sheets, duvets, covers, pillows, and pillow cases along with cutlery, pots, pans, and cooking elements are all provided for FREE. Read about our packing tips here.

Do all campervans have stereos?

All campervans have CD players with MP3 and iPod hookups and AM/FM stereo. To run your iPod or MP3 player through the stereo, you should bring an auxiliary cord to plug into the front face. These are available to purchase from our depots for $5 if you don’t have your own.

What about all the luggage I have?

Travel light if possible. The Mavericks campervan has 510 liters of storage space, and the Ventura has 432 liters of storage space. We do recommend you bring soft bags instead of hard cases. If you can’t fit everything in, we can store bags in a secure lock up at certain depots free of charge.

Will we be warm enough in winter?

All our campers have heating and two warm winter comforters/duvets. We also include a heater that plugs into an external power source. Most other companies charge extra for these items, but Escape includes these for free.

Rules of the Road

What side of the road do you drive on in America?

We drive on the right-hand side of the road. For more information, click on this link.

Do I need an international driver’s license to rent an Escape Campervan?

Foreigners do not need an international driver’s license to drive in the US. However, it can certainly be helpful to have one and it will simplify things if or when you are pulled over by a law enforcement officer.

What age do I have to be to drive an Escape campervan?

You need to be at least 21 years of age, and you will need to have a valid driver’s license to rent an Escape Campervan. Unlike many other companies, Escape does not charge a young driver fee.

Can I drive my Escape Campervan through Canada?

Yes! Unlike other companies, Escape allows you to travel to every state in the US and most parts of Canada for no extra cost. There is also no maximum rental length, so you can travel for as long as you like. Our 24/7 Roadside Assistance is available in the US and Canada should you require assistance.


Can I sleep anywhere or do I have to stay in a campground?

The beauty of traveling in an Escape Campervan in America is the total freedom it gives you. Our campervans fit in most state and national park tent sites, as well as all state and national park RV sites.

You also have the option of “free camping” (also known as dispersed camping, pirate camping, boondocking, etc.). Unless stated otherwise, it’s legal to sleep in your vehicle within federally designated lands. Read our Dispersed Camping 101 guide.

Trip Tips

Do you provide travel information?

Yes, we provide personal itinerary advice at the start of your trip along with our very own ‘Escape Plan’ Guidebook. The guidebook is packed with a huge amount of useful information, from trip itineraries to money-saving and free camping tips.

You will receive a copy of the ‘Escape Plan’ Guidebook at pick up, but we also have the information in web format on our Itineraries and Plan Your Escape pages to help you pre-plan.

What is the price of fuel in the United States?

The price of fuel is constantly changing. As a general rule, it’s approximately one-third of the price of fuel in the UK or Europe. Gas is currently at a 5-year low in the US and in many states is costs less than $2.50/gallon. As there is 4 liters/gallon, this means you only pay 50 euro cents/liter or 0.41 GBP/liter! Here is a link to current fuel prices in the US.

Should I book campsites in advance?

Generally no, but if you are traveling between June and September, it’s always a good idea to book the more popular sites in advance. You can pre-book campsites at the following links:

  • Reserve America is the biggest campground management/booking site in the US. It’s utilized for all national and state parks nationwide.
  • is another federal government site to assist with bookings.
  • Campground Views is a small start-up booking private campgrounds. They include photos and videos of each campsite.
  • Like Airbnb for campgrounds, Hipcamp is a VC-funded campground aggregator that is small but growing fast.

Escape Campervans fit in a standard tent site, which saves you money. You may not need a powered site unless you plan on plugging in the heater or any other major appliances. If you do want a powered site, you can choose the minimum voltage power site: 15 or 20 amps is ample and typically the cheapest. You may also need to specify the length of the campervan, which is 16 ft.


What are the public facilities like in America?

Campsites in America vary from minimalistic tent sites with fire pits and outhouses to fully-powered sites with access to kitchens, TV and entertainment rooms, hot showers, and more. Prices range from approximately $5-$25 per night.


How will I get by without a bathroom in the campervan?

While our campervans don’t have bathrooms, our renters do just fine using campground facilities and practicing Leave No Trace principles when dispersed camping. It is a matter of your own comfort level, but the freedom that campervan travel gives you compared to RVs is worth it for many!

Update: Our NEW Indie Campers have a bathroom in them with a toilet and shower!

Can I bring my pet with me?

We charge a $150 non-refundable pet fee (up to 2 pets allowed). There is no charge for service dogs with the appropriate documentation. No pets are allowed during the months of July, August, and September.

Why are campervan trips so popular in California?

California is simply one of the best places in the world to explore by campervan. The roads offer easy driving, and you’ll find fantastic beaches, excellent campsites and state parks, first class facilities, friendly locals, and beautiful scenery. What more could you want?

How do I get a SunPass Toll card for Florida?

The State of Florida no longer utilizes manned toll booths on their highways. A camera takes a photo of the vehicle license plate and mails the bill to the owner of the vehicle (in this case, Escape Campervans). It is impossible to pay these tolls in person! The tolls, additional charges, and delinquency fees can quickly cost you hundreds of dollars in unexpected trip expenses.

To simplify this process, the Miami Escape Depot offers each renter a Florida SunPass for $10. If you’re driving through (or dropping off) in Florida, we HIGHLY recommend you purchase a SunPass immediately upon entering the state. This pass, synced with your credit card, will ensure your compliance with the new Florida tolling system procedure. Each time you pass a toll station, the charge will simply be applied to your credit card – no hassles, no late payment charges, no worries.

How it works:

  1. Purchase a SunPass upon entering Florida (CVS Pharmacies or Publix Supermarkets typically have them) or pick one up from the Miami Escape Depot
  2. Go online and add a credit card to the SunPass account
  3. Enjoy your trip
  4. Make sure you remove the SunPass at the end of your adventure
Can I bring a campervan to a music festival?

Yes! Campervans are a great way to experience music festivals. Note that certain festivals, like Burning Man, have specific requirements and fees. Visit our festival camping page for full details.


Portland and Calgary not available until after May 1, 2019

Pick Up

Drop Off

Portland and Calgary not available until after May 1, 2019


Pick Up

Drop Off

This site uses cookies. By using this site or closing this notice, you agree to the use of cookies and our privacy policy.