Spending the Day at Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando
By Dawn S
Thinking about taking a campervan road trip through Florida? Stop and visit Harry P Leu Gardens, a peaceful botanical oasis near Orlando, Florida. It’s a great place to get outside for some fresh air, sunshine, and some socially distanced strolling.
When Is The Best Time To Visit?
Wondering when to go? Any time of year is a perfect time. Variety is the spice of life, and the Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando has 40 different plant collections, a historic house, and fifty acres of gardens to explore. Check their website to see what will be happening during your visit.
They offer classes and workshops. They also rent the gardens and other event spaces for weddings, meetings, or memorials. You should allow a few hours to explore each of the ten gardens. Entry is reasonably priced, around $10.00 for adults, and $5.00 for kids 4-17, under three are free.
Having A Membership Comes With Its Benefits
Apply your admission towards an annual membership of the American Horticultural Society (AHS) and enjoy reciprocal entry to over 300 locations in the U.S. Great for visiting the next botanical garden that you find while on your Escape Campervan road trip.
View A Wide Array of Tropical Plants
Here are a few of my Harry P. Leu Gardens favs.
- CAMELLIAS-If you are traveling through central Florida from late October through March don’t miss the camellias, over 200 different varieties, the largest collection in the eastern US.
- ROSE GARDEN-The formal rose garden, Florida’s largest, is a guest favorite, with its pathways and fountains, and is available for garden weddings. It boasts pre 1867 old garden roses, as well as modern roses.
- IDEA GARDEN-Excellent display of plants, garden design, and horticulture methods. Examples include a Bird Garden, Fragrance Garden, Urban Patio Garden, and a Wildflower Garden.
- BUTTERFLY GARDEN-This is my daughter’s favorite. Filled with flowers that attract butterflies, you may even get to see a chrysalis or emerging monarch.
- THE TROPICAL STREAM GARDEN– feels like a walk through a rainforest, and the PALM, CYCADS, AND BAMBOO is called the dinosaur garden for its prehistoric plants.
- WHITE GARDEN-Filled only with plants that have white blooms or green and white variegated leaves, this garden is a beautiful setting for an intimate wedding.
Don’t miss the VEGETABLE GARDEN or the ARID GARDEN for examples of local fruits, berries, and vegetables, and drought-tolerant plants.
What You Should Know Before Your Visit
No picnics, blankets, or pets allowed!
Walking under the moss-draped oak trees and watching the turtles and cormorants from the lakeside dock will take your thoughts to a peaceful natural scene.