Campervan Cooking Recipes for Dinner
Anyone who has spent a night under the stars knows there’s something special about enjoying a homemade (campermade?) meal while sitting around a roaring fire, enjoying a few cold ones, and swapping stories about the crazy day you just had. Somehow, everything just tastes better while camping. We’ve gathered dinner recipes from former Escapees who blazed the trail in years past to get you started on your own campervan cooking ventures. Here are some of our favorites.
1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 can Mexican flavored stewed tomatoes
1 can beans (kidney or black)
1-2 cans of condensed tomato soup
2-3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
- Brown ground meat with chopped onions.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
One Pot Egg Fried Rice
1 tablespoon of butter or oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pouch microwavable rice
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Chilli flakes to taste
Soy sauce & sweet chili sauce to serve
- Heat the fat and fry the onion until softened.
- Add the pepper and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice and spices and stir well.
- Push the rice to the sides of the pan and crack in the eggs. Scramble them and then stir through the rice, mixing well.
- Serve with soy and sweet chili sauce. Enough for 2 people.
Cream of Chicken and Rice
2-3 chicken breasts
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup
1 1/4 cups Minute Rice
Salt/pepper to taste
- Add can of soup, one can of water, and the chicken.
- Stir while heating to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Add the Minute Rice and stir.
- Cover and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and serve.
1 pound ground beef
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
1/2 cup water
1 envelope taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
1 package (16 ounces) tortilla chips
Optional toppings: sour cream, sliced fresh jalapenos, shredded lettuce, lime wedges
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, rice, water, taco seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes until rice is tender and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Divide tortilla chips among six plates; spoon beef mixture over chips. Serve with toppings as desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Chicken and Dumplings
3 chicken breasts, diced
1/2 stick butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cans chicken broth
8 flour tortillas
Salt/pepper to taste
- Bring broth and seasonings to boil.
- Meanwhile, slice tortillas into thin strips.
- Place in the boiling broth and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and cook for 15 more minutes uncovered.
Mac and Cheese
1 package macaroni noodles
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced ham
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
Salt/pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni until tender in a pot of boiling salted water.
- Drain water and return macaroni to pot.
- Add grated cheeses, milk, and ham.
- Stir for a few minutes over medium heat until cheese melts.
- Pour into serving dish and sprinkle top with the parmesan and breadcrumbs.
Veggies (bell peppers, onion, corn, sweet potato–depending on the season)
Bowls are an easy and versatile way to cook up a quick, delicious meal. Heat up some quinoa and black beans, saute some meat and/or veggies, and add spices to taste. Voila!
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1/8 cup mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
2 heaping Tbsp. brown sugar
Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Cook the ground beef or turkey, drain some of the juices off, and then add the onion, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar.
- If you like it a bit tangier then add more mustard; to make it sweeter, add more sugar. Allow to simmer a bit to soak up all the juices.
- Spoon onto hamburger buns and add sliced cheese if desired. Serve.
This list is but a taste of the epic meals we’ve been told about—in mouthwatering detail—and we’re always looking for new ways to put our Escape Campervans kitchen to good use. If you’ve made a meal that’s so fabulous you can’t keep it to yourself, let us know and we’ll add it to the list!